This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my advertiser disclosure for more details.
I’ll start this week with a random fact about our family:
- Factoid: We do not “binge” watch any TV shows in our house. This is a habit I’ve adopted thanks to Ken. We never watch more than one episode of any TV show every few days. Ever. We started watching Dexter back in 2011, and we’re just now on Season 7. Similar with Breaking Bad. We started watching that about a year ago, and we wrapped up Season 4 about a month ago. And, we take breaks in between seasons, even if the next season is readily available to watch. I used to object to this practice because I loved binge-watching TV shows. (I think I watched both seasons of HBO’s Rome in like three weeks). But now I really like it! I feel like it gives you time to process the events of the show! No matter how crazy the cliffhanger, we wait. It’s an excellent practice of self control!
And now, for some Friday Randomness:
- We owe on our Federal taxes this year. Ugh. We owed last year too, so I adjusted my 2013 withholding amount kind of arbitrarily, but we still owe a fairly significant amount again this year. Every year we’ve been paying less and less interest on our mortgage, so that seems to be the major factor affecting our taxes. I used the IRS’s withholding calculator to figure out precisely how much we should withhold for the rest of 2014. Very helpful!
- I’ve been morbidly addicted to all the news coverage surrounding the disappearance of the Malaysia Airlines flight. The families of the passengers must be going through something so agonizing, I can’t even imagine.
- I don’t like shopping in stores very much. I especially hate having to lug large items, like packs of toilet paper or paper towels, in the house. So, I just signed up for a bunch of things on Amazon’s Subscribe and Save. I didn’t realize how much Subscribe and Save items they offered, so I may have gone a bit overboard. One Hellman’s Mayonnaise delivered every two months anyone?
- This weekend I’m going to start planting my seedlings. Wish me luck!
- I’ve started to tinker with Genealogy research. Have any of you ever tried to research your own family history? I got frustrated with one side of my family history research and gave up, then I tripped across some records from Eastern Europe and managed to trace back some of my ancestors until the 1600s! So exciting!
- On a related note, one of my mom’s cousins is hosting a family reunion this year. I’m thinking about bringing some genealogy questionnaires to ask relatives for information that they might have about our family history. Even if they don’t know things like specific dates, I would love to capture some oral history stories that they may have heard.
- I really miss Google Reader. Even though it’s been a year since Google retired it, I still don’t love any alternative readers. I’ve been using NewsBlur for a while, but sometimes the feeds don’t update very regularly. Sigh.
- I’m a big fan of food trucks in the DC area. For about six months now, Simple on Wheels has been my favorite. Their veggie platter is so tasty, filling, and reasonably priced. But about a week ago, I tried Korengy. It was so good. For $9, you get a ton of food. I definitely recommend the Spicy Beef Bibimbap.
That’s it until next week! Have a great weekend!