This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my advertiser disclosure for more details.
- We’ve been getting lots of work done around the house! I’ll talk more in depth about the projects in future posts, but we ordered some new hardwood floors for our living room (still waiting for the floors to get delivered!), we’re tinkering with some new lighting fixtures, including sconces and recessed lighting in the basement, and we ordered new interior doors.
- On the more annoying end of home improvements, we’ve had some plumbing issues. Here goes:
1) I was doing laundry a few weeks ago and somehow our entire cheapo utility sink completely collapsed. It was a super cheap plastic kit we bought from Home Depot nearly five years ago, and the legs didn’t even screw into the sink. Somehow the legs fell out from under the sink, and we ended up with a watery mess in our laundry room. (Although it could’ve been a lot worse). After looking for, and hating, nearly every laundry sink / utility sink we found in stores like Home Depot and Lowes, we opted for this commercial grade sink. It’s so sturdy and we love it! Here’s the aftermath of the plastic sink once we took it outside to wait for garbage day!
2) Our basement toilet has had a very slow drip leak. The plumber looked at it and said, “You don’t even have any bolts on this toilet!” Apparently we had been using a toilet that had not been bolted to the floor. We were really lucky to have averted disaster all these years. There were some other things wrong with the toilet, so we ended up just buying a new one (meaning the plumber had to come back!). Did you know you can get a toilet for 88 bucks? That’s what we bought. I can’t imagine a $200 toilet is that much better than an $88 one.
3) I was working from home one day, and I noticed something weird on our kitchen ceiling, right next to an upper kitchen cabinet. I sent Ken this picture.
He freaked out and drove home, thinking the entire kitchen ceiling was about to collapse. He cut a big hole in the drywall, and we couldn’t figure out if the leak was from heavy condensation on our HVAC ducts, or from the bathroom tub. Long story short, even after the plumber looked at it, we still don’t have a good answer. Ugh!
- Thanks to various circumstances, Ken and I hosted three dinner parties within ten days! I love to cook and to have friends and family over, but wow, that was crazy intense. On the upside, the house has never stayed cleaner for a longer period of time!
- We’ve been considering a vacation to Alaska sometime in 2015. Specifically, a cruise and a few extra days (or week) in Alaska. The options all seem very overwhelming! Does anybody have recommendations?
- I got a whopping 8 inches of hair cut off! My hair had reached a point of “inconveniently long.” It was halfway down my butt, so I was always sitting on my hair accidentally, and wearing it down became of of a chore than fun.
That’s about it! Happy Friday!